Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Osmosis

This week is the Member Guest tournament at my husband's golf course. For those of you not aware...a Member Guest is usually 3 or 4 days of golf, aiming fluid (aka alcoholic beverages), obscene noises and gestures, food and of course, is men only. The hubby is running it, not playing in it, so it gets a smidge hectic for the boys working it. In an attempt to make their lives better during this not so favorable week, (by the way: it is 100+ degrees all week here in Oklahoma) I decided to make them some sweets. I found a recipe for Chocolate Pecan Coconut Bars and decided to give it a whirl. One problem...I don't own a food processor. I quickly remedied that with a purchase and away we go.

Now, flash back 5+ years when I met my husband. I was working too many hours for too little money just out of college, so cooking & baking wasn't at the top of my priorities list. I've always enjoyed the activity, just didn't have time to do it. Okay, flash back to present time...

Ya there?...good...we continue:

So when I purchased the new gadget my husband gets a familiar smirk and just shakes his head. "What is the obsession with cooking? You didn't have that when we met!" So I promptly corrected him and said, "I've always had it...I just didn't have TIME!" But as I was using the shiny new processor last evening (by the way, cool little device, should have bought one a long time ago), lightning struck. It's OSMOSIS!

I know...you are confused. Follow me if you can:

My engagement & wedding rings are a family heirloom from my husband's side. Gooney, his Great-Grandma, was the original wearer of the rings. When he got the rings to give to me, he took them to a jeweler to have them cleaned and sized. When he picked them up, the jeweler told him that they found dough (maybe pie crust) in the settings. Now that I have worn them for 4 years...I believe that my "new found" cooking/baking fascination is the doings of Gooney...through Osmosis!

Another mystery solved. Tonight I venture into the world of Raspberry filled Cupcakes with Chocolate frosting. Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment