Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What's in a name...PRESSURE!

Instead of going over the past nine months in detail, I'm gonna list it. I will attempt to do this in order of occurrence...follow me if you dare:

1. Phillip accepted a job in Texas. Yee Haw.

2. Found out I'm pregnant. Yeah, jumping up and down followed by holy crap I'm going to be responsible for a human.

3. Turned 30. Fantastic party at my dear friends which was perfect, but we have decided to have a do over since I couldn't partake in the adult beverages.

4. Put our house on the market. AKA:clean out the crap and get the house in better form than it has been in 5 years...funny how we do this for other people to see but not ourselves.

5. Hunted for a house to rent in Texas. FYI: Boxers are considered #3 on the aggressive breed list at most apartments...seriously? Does this look aggressive to you? I didn't think so.
6. Wrapped up the job in Tulsa...bittersweet.

7. Moved to Texas with the help of our amazing parents. I could go my whole life and never do that again however I don't think I'm that lucky.

8. Found a new doctor in Texas...love her.

9. Job hunt. Still hunting and hunting.

10. It's a Girl!

11. House in Tulsa under contract...thank you Jesus!

12. Still job hunting.


Breathe.


So now that you are caught up on our insanity that we call life the past 4 months, it brings me to the topic of this post. A name.


I have never felt more pressure than picking a name for your child! Not only do we both have to agree on it but I don't want a name with bad nicknames, weird spelling or could be a boy or a girl. That combined with the fact that I am one of the last of my friends to have kids, eliminates a lot of options since we already know 4 million kids with this name or that name. And then there's the idea that I want to see her and know her little personality 'cause I don't want to name some spunky little spitfire Bertha, okay so I wouldn't name any child Bertha, but you get the point.

My sister and I both grew up with not insanely common names, which we both loved, so I would like her to have a name that is not super duper common. It would be nice to have her be the only kid in her class with her name, but I'm not about to name her Banana just to prove a point. Seriously, what is wrong with some people and the things they name their children! Would you want to be called Apple...yeah, me neither.

So here we are with 4 1/2 months left and a long list of to dos including that darn name. Oh and before you all start asking, we aren't going to tell people the name until she is here and the birth certificate is signed. Why...well first the names we, well I, like change on a daily basis. Second...once we do make a decision, I don't want anyone trying to convince us otherwise. So check back in 4 1/2 months for that update! Until then...I'm just hangin in Texas...growing a human, who is very active!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Abby!
    I don't know what your e-mail address is, so I thought I'd post a comment here instead. Congratulations! Chad e-mailed and said little Harper had been born. We hope you are all well and enjoying your beautiful little girl.
    We love you all!
    Katie Clement

    ReplyDelete